Monday, March 12, 2012


Ey Wade has published a number of books and graciously allowed me to interview the central character in her YA Novel -- D.N.A.

 A little about the book...

Debney Nichole Armstrong thought she knew everything about her family. She knew her dad worked hard at everything, except building a relationship with his family. She knew her younger brothers were typical little kids, and she knew without doubt, her mother cared nothing for her first born and only daughter. But what she hadn’t known was, DNA could ruin your life.

Eighteen year old Debney Nichole Armstrong, found out about her parents’ and little brothers’ death during the night of her eighteenth birthday party. Yes, sometimes relationships in families end tragically. People leave; parents die, and lives change, but does it all have to bring out the skeletons in the closet?
After one of her reoccurring bitter arguments with her mother, Debney is left home alone while her family goes away on summer vacation. In the chaos of a romantic (with her long time crush) dinner turned teen party, she learns of the death of her family. What she really needed to know was what role did her mother contribute to the ‘accident’? Where were the bodies of her ten year old twin brothers? Who is the strange man in her mother’s journals, and who is the father of the child she now carries? No matter what the answers are, Debney knows, nothing will ever be the same.

 1.      Debney, tell us a little about your family and where you live.

My dad was originally from India, worked hard to make the money and awesome life we had. Unfortunately, he married my mom. If it wouldn’t have been for the sometimes cruel actions of my mom, my family could be nice. I live in a huge house and attend a very nice school. Before the party, I had a lot of friends. Things changed quickly once it got around I was pregnant.

2. Life or fate dealt you a very bad hand. Your family was tragically taken away from you while they were away on vacation. What made you believe your little brothers were still alive? Is that why you took the unexpected trip to Italy? 

Yes, my family did die. At least it was presumed they all died. When the police told me the bodies of my brothers were not found, I just couldn’t give up the small bit of hope I had to see them again. That’s why I went to Italy. I just couldn’t make myself give up on them and leave them lost somewhere in a strange country.

3. Everything seems to have gone downhill since your family’s demise. Your infamous eighteenth birthday party which resulted in your pregnancy brought about negative reactions from all your friends. How do you handle the stress?

I’m not handling things very well. I have these bursts of anger that sometimes make me lash out at those who try to humiliate me in school When the fear of being alone in the world starts to weigh to heavy, I tend to run and hide in the blankets of my parents’ bed as if I am still a preschooler. As a matter of fact I don’t even live in the big house, I find it easier to hide….live in the pool house out back. As an added protection for the baby I have been visiting a grief counselor.

4. Out of everything that has happened to you, what stands out the most?

Hmmm, I would have to say the stupid appearance on that reality TV show. If it weren’t for the idiot classmates trying to humiliate me, I would have never gone on there. I fixed them though. I bet it was the only time in the history of that show, a woman didn’t run off the stage crying like a fool.


5. You have a nice house, money, a child but your demons won’t let you alone. What will it take to put your mind at ease?

I’ve come to realize only time will give me peace. I learned so many horrible things about my mother so soon after hearing of my parent’s death that my mind is boggling. Luckily I have two of the most awesome and dependable friends. It gives me faith that things will get better.

Well, guess I have to go now. Thank you so much, Ms. Greta for interviewing me.



                                                    Amazon US       Amazon UK       B&N




2 comments:

  1. Thanks Toye. Glad you could come over. I hope Debney got her point across. She was a little nervous, this being her first off site interview. She has a pretty good story to tell.

    Thanks for the interview, Greta.

    ReplyDelete